What is the difference between Rogaine and Roman hair loss treatment? It depends on how you look at them. They have lots of similarities and differences. Does their topical treatment work? Who can use and benefit from their products? Keep reading, and you will see how similar yet different these two companies are.
Hair Loss is okay. In Fact, It Is Normal!
If you are in your late 30s or early 40s, you may already have lost some of your hair. More than two-thirds of men will experience hair loss before they turn 35. Alopecia areata- which can cause sudden hair loss- make most men very nervous. I get it; no one wants to lose hair or go bold. Same with male pattern baldness, this is not a disease. Most men who lose hair are healthy, so then what causes hair loss if it is not related to our health?
The leading cause of male pattern baldness is the testosterone hormone…yes, you heard it right. The same masculine hormone in your body causes hair loss. To be exact, the hormone itself does not, but one of its byproducts does.
So, in order to avoid hair loss, you should act as soon as you notice the signs like hair strands on your pillow or unusual hair shedding while brushing your hair. The sooner you try to combat the hair loss, the chances of keeping your hair are higher. That is because the products Roman and Rogaine offer are excellent at maintaining what you have not re-growing what you already lost.
The over the counter product that these two companies provide are incredibly effective to stop the hair loss and thinning of hair.
Rogaine vs. Roman Treatment Comparison
Rogaine is a very well-known brand name for one of the products that has been proven to be very effective for hair loss treatment, which is called Minoxidil. You can purchase Rogaine very easily and quickly through Amazon. You also have the option to use subscribe and save with Amazon for regular delivery and a great price. Roman also offers the generic form of Minoxidil, which you can purchase directly from them along with another product that is also effective for hair loss for many men called Finasteride. Finasteride (generic for Propecia) is not an over the counter medicine, so you need prescription.
Depending on which company you chose, the price and the way you get it is different. Here is a table for comparing these two:
|Rogaine Vs. Roman Minoxidil||Roman||Rogaine|
Foam and Solution
Price for 3 months
Price per month
$14.6 foam, $14.1 solution
Where to Buy?
Yes with Amazon prime
Minoxidil: The Main Ingredient in Roman and Rogaine
The active ingredient of both Rogaine and Roman is Minoxidil, which is a topical hair loss treatment drug. It has been on the market for decades and has been tested on thousands of men with hair loss issues. The good news is you can purchase 5% Minoxidil without any prescription.
Minoxidil is excellent for people with natural hair loss. If you believe your hair loss is due to a medical condition or other issues, you may want to visit a doctor.
Journal of American Academy of Dermatologist (JAAD) published a study showing that daily usage of 5% Minoxidil topical solution increased hair regrowth and decreased hair shedding.
Originally, Minoxidil was intended to treat high blood pressure. During the trial period, some patients observed hair growth in unwanted areas of their bodies, such as their cheek or back of their hands. With this finding, scientists decided to use Minoxidil as a topical solution for hair loss treatment.
Until today, we still do not know the Minoxidil exact mechanism of action. All we know is that Minoxidil is a vasodilator- meaning that it increases the size of blood vessels- which helps with more oxygen and nutrients in our blood. More blood flow in vessel helps the follicles to increase in size and prevents hair from falling.
Both Roman and Rogaine offer 5% Minoxidil, but what is the difference between them, if any. Let’s start with Rogaine:
I am sure most of you who are looking for hair loss treatment products, have already heard about Rogaine. Rogaine is a well-known brand when it comes to hair loss products. Rogaine offers Minoxidil in foam and solution version.
You should remember, Minoxidil does not help people with complete boldness. Minoxidil is most effective when you start applying it in the early stages of bolding or as soon as you realize you are losing hair. Basically, Minoxidil does not help with the regrowth of hair and just keeps the existing hair from falling out.
Rogaine Offers Minoxidil for both men and women
One of the reasons Rogaine is very popular is because they have products for both genders. Rogaine offers Minoxidil for both males and females who suffer from hair loss. Rogaine offers 5% Minoxidil in foam and solution format for men. For women, they provide both forms, but the solution is less concentrated, and it only contains 2% Minoxidil.
Where to get Rogaine Minoxidil?
How often to use Rogaine Minoxidil?
For Minoxidil to be effective, you need to be very consistent. The most common application is twice daily-one application in the morning and one in the evening.
How long does it take to see the results?
With Rogaine Minoxidil, it usually takes a few months (generally between 3 to 6) to see the results.
Roman is another company that offers Minoxidil as a solution to prevent hair loss. They are one of the few telemedicine startups that are helping men with hair loss issues. If you need to speak with their doctors, or if you are not sure that the Minoxidil is right for you, you can easily talk with their physicians by following this link.
Roman offers other products besides Minoxidil that can help you with hair loss treatment. If you decide to get a consultation, the physician can provide you with the best treatment for your situation.
What makes Roman a great option is that everything is done from the comfort of your home, from visiting the doctor, ordering your prescription, and receiving the medication.
Where to get Roman Minoxidil?
How often to use Roman Minoxidil?
Similar to Rogaine, for Minoxidil to be effective, you need to be very consistent. The most common application is twice daily.
How long does it take to see the results?
With Roman Minoxidil, it usually takes a few months (generally between 3 to 6) to see the results.
How to Apply Minoxidil?
Minoxidil comes in two different formulations, one is a solution that you can apply using the dropper, and the other one is foam. While you can purchase Rogaine in both formulations from Amazon, Roman only offers the solution version. Both solution and foam are straightforward to apply. The primary key to get the most out of Minoxidil is consistency. You should use Minoxidil twice daily for a couple of months before you see any results. You also need to continue using Minoxidil to prevent your hair from falling.
If you choose the foam version:
- You can purchase it from Rogaine or Amazon
- You should apply it twice a day
- Here is how to apply it: start with damp or dry hair (don’t use it when your hair is wet). Part your hair in a way to maximize scalp exposure. Hold the can upside down and dispense a half a cap of foam into your hand. After applying to your scalp, gently massage it. Let the foam dry before styling or blow-drying your hair. Rogaine foam is safe for color-treated hair.
If you choose the solution version:
- You can purchase it from Roman, Rogain or Amazon
- You should apply it twice a day
- Here is how to apply it: start with damp or dry hair (don’t use it when your hair is wet). Part your hair in a way to maximize scalp exposure. Fill the dropper to 1 mL line and hold it over the area you want to treat. After applying to your scalp, gently massage it. Let the foam dry before styling or blow-drying your hair. Minoxidil solution is safe for color-treated hair.
What Are the Side Effects of Minoxidil?
Since the active ingredient of the product that Rogaine and Roman offer is the same, you would experience similar side effects. Minoxidil may make your head itchy or cause dandruff, which you can prevent and stop it quickly by using an anti-itching and anti-dandruff shampoo like Baebody.
Other not very common side effects of Minoxidil include but not limited to chest pain, dizziness, skin rash, swelling of the hands and feet, headache, redness, and irritation at the site of application and unusual hair growth on the face, arm, and back.
Side effects will go away as soon as you stop applying Minoxidil. If the condition persists, you can consult with your doctor.
Where to Buy Minoxidil: Amazon? Roman Website? Rogaine Website?
There are several options available for you to get the Minoxidil. You can buy it from your local pharmacy, an online retailer like Amazon. You can go to the Rogaine website or simply sign up for the Roman subscription. Let’s talk about the pros and cons of each.
This is the most traditional way you can purchase Rogaine Minoxidil. If you don’t mind staying in line and having an awkward conversation with the cashier about your hair loss issues, then, by all means, go for it. You also need to stop by your pharmacy every month to pick up your Minoxidil; if you have a busy life and would like to save some time, I recommend looking at the other options.
There are a few advantages of purchasing Minoxidil from the Rogaine website.
- Rogaine is the brand name for Minoxidil. Effectiveness of the active ingredient is the same whether you buy the brand name or generic name, but when you shop through Rogaine, you know that you are getting a trusted brand and product.
- Using the Rogaine website, you have the option to choose from a foam or liquid version. Roman only offers liquid, so if you are interested in foam, Rogaine is the right choice for you.
- Rogaine also offers Minoxidil for females with hair loss issues. So, if someone in your family is also interested in getting the female version, you can kill two birds with one stone and order it together.
- Rogaine is more expensive than Roman, which is expected as they are the brand name. See their pricing on the table.
Here are the advantages of purchasing Minoxidil from the Roman website.
- Roman is a one-stop-shop for men with hair loss issues and also several other health problems.
- You can get other products for your hair loss, including Finasteride. We talk about Finasteride next.
- If you bundle Minoxidil and Finasteride, you can get a great deal. Right now, Roman offers the first month free (on a quarterly plan) if you go with the bundle. The price of the bundle is $35/month.
- With Roman, you can consult with their licensed doctors before ordering any product. You will also get the free unlimited follow-ups with their doctors
- Roman sends the medication to your house with free 2-day shipping, and their packages are really nice!
- You have heard of Amazon and most probably shop from it a few items every month. You might as well purchase your branded Minoxidil from them.
- With Amazon subscribe and save, you can save 5% to 15% when you order Minoxidil. This makes Minxidil cheaper, and it gets delivered to your house every 3 months. So, you never have to worry about running out of Minoxidil. Using subscribe and save option is free, and you can cancel at any time.
- Using Amazon, you have the option to pick from the Rogaine foam or solution.
Roman offers several products for men, but let’s start with their hair loss products. Besides Minoxidil, they also Finasteride. This is what sets aside Roman from Rogaine. Finasteride is not an over the counter medicine, and you need to have a prescription. You can easily consult with Roman doctors (from the comfort of your couch), and they can recommend the treatment that works for you. If you need Finasteride, they can prescribe it, and Roman will ship to your house.
Besides Hair loss products Roman also offers treatment in so many areas such as:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Premature ejaculation
- Genital herpes
- Cold sores
- Weight management
- Heart health
- Bone health
- Stress relief
- Prostate health
- Quit smoking
- Testosterone support
These are only a few of the several treatments they offer. For the complete list of what they cover, check this link.
What is Finasteride?
Finasteride is the generic name of the brand Propecia. Finasteride functions by decreasing the amount DHT. DHT is one of the side products of testosterone. Scientists believe that in aging men, DHT interacts with their follicle and makes the follicle to shrink. Decreasing the amount of DHT leads to an increase in hair regrowth and slower hair loss.
JAAD published a study on the effect of Finasteride on 1553 men. The main key finding of the study was that in men with male pattern hair loss, Finasteride slowed hair loss and increased hair growth. Hair growth in other parts of the body is not affected by Finasteride.
Which One Do We Recommend? Rogaine or Roman
Both Roman and Rogaine offer Minoxidil, one is branded, and the other one is generic. But which one is our preference?
Between Rogaine and Roman, we recommend Roman.
Roman has everything you want to help you with your hair loss weather you need Minoxidil, Finasteride, or the combination of both.
Choosing Roman, you have the option to talk with a real doctor for a fraction of the price you would typically pay for an office visit. The doctor can evaluate your condition and recommend you with the best treatment.
With the Roman subscription plan, you are confident that your medication arrives before you run out of them, and you don’t even have to leave your house to get them.
Also, as a telemedicine company, Roman offers treatment for several other issues such as Erectile dysfunction and Premature ejaculation.